I saw these frames this week in the Michael's flyer and went and bought two for only $1.50 each!
First I painted the back and sides white.
Next I found scrap paper that worked perfectly. (My mom bought me some random packs of scrapbook accessories and cut up paper at a garage sale in Edmonton and all this paper was in the packs... good find mom!) After cutting the paper to just fit to the outside of the frame, I than used spray adhesive to glued the paper onto the wood.
Taking my knife I cut off excess paper and also cutting the heart out. At this point I realized I forgot to paint the inside of the heart... had to do this really carefully since I didn't want to get any paint on the paper.
I used sandpaper and lightly sanded down the edges of the frame and inside of the heart. *Make sure to move down with the sandpaper and not up. This step will fix any uneven cutting that happened especially in the heart. See a picture of this step here.
I look my embellishments (found them at Michael's this week and used a coupon) and mounted them on cardboard using spray adhesive to give it strength.
I than Mod Podged the front and sides of the frame and the front of the embellishments. I wanted to make sure they had the same finish as the paper on the frame.
Next I had to pick from my small selection of ribbon, the perfect match (okay this is a huge selection... I have an addition). I glued down the ribbon using glue dots. I also took some craft glue that dries clear and added a small amount of glue to the cut edges of the ribbon to help prevent fraying.
Lastly I applied tons of these sticky lifter things (no idea what they are called) and raised the embellishments from the frame just slightly to give it some dimension.
Here are the finished frames! The first one is for my house and the second one is for who Boston wants to ask to be his Valentine... she should be receiving it in the mail shortly :)
This post is participating in: